Thursday, September 29, 2011

Third times the charm - maybe

If something unusual happens once - it's an oddity.  If that same event happens twice in a short enough period of time - it's strange.  When that event happens a third time, it begins to worry me. 

For those of you who don't know me, I work in IT - tech support for an engineering department at a major university.  In just over the past week, I've now seen 3 hard drives all drop their boot sectors or primary partition.  Having one hard drive do this isn't all that rare or unusual, but 3 in a week is very odd.  To make matters more interesting, they were all from different OS versions - Windows XP, Windows 7 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit.  The drives ranged in age from 8 years to 2 years and size from 40GB to 500GB.  The one common thread - they are all from Seagate/Maxtor - though that partnership is relatively recent.

I'm just wondering if somebody has figured out how to modify StuxNet.  If this is the case, we are about to see a really major problem. 

My other thought is tied to some EM problem, either in our atmosphere or from solar emissions - but why these drives and not other "easier" things like jumpdrives, laptops or cell phones?

Actually, it's probably nothing and just a coincidence that I should chalk up to having a decade of IT experience and seeing to many conspiracy theory movies.

Think I'll go make a foil hat just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment