Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Popping the Hardcore Cherry

We rolled up characters for Labyrinth Lord (effectively original DnD) last week.  The players agreed to go "hardcore", meaning 3d6 straight down the line.  I know that two of the players really enjoy this type of game, one of the players has played enough RPGs to appreciate this, but one of the players gaming experience is limited to 3.5/Pathfinder and WoD (old rules).  Initially, I was concerned that this style of game might be more than she would be comfortable with - she proved me wrong and jumped right on board with the hardcore style.  The one non-hardcore option I invoked was to give them more starting funds than they would normally have.  In retrospect, I didn't really care, but maybe I was trying to give them a bit more survivability - weakness in a DM for a hardcore group, it will not happen again.

So here's what was rolled up:
Elf
Mage
Thief
Cleric

My plan is to run them through a series of the "best of" modules for DnD - starting with The Keep on the Borderlands, then The Temple of Elemental Evil, Tomb of Horrors and into Against the Giants.  Maybe overly grand plans for an every-other-week group, but a guy can dream can't he?

I'm thinking I'll use the Locks & Keys document provided by -C on Hack & Slash where appropriate.

No comments:

Post a Comment