Thursday, July 7, 2011

Dungeon Crawl Classic - swirling down the funnel part II

In reflecting on the previous sessions and anticipating the upcoming DCC session(s).  I think I have come upon what irritates me about this - the complete openness of player options and the complete lack of player choice.  Yes, you read that correctly - I can't stand having all the options available without actually being able to make a decision that matters.

But I can do anything I want - yup, I can play a fighter with 7 str and 4 con; I can play a wizard with 9 int and 16 dex - the stats don't matter.  But they do matter, in that I have had 25+ years of games conditioning me to think that they do matter and 36 (soon to be 37) years of life telling me that you do what you are good at.  There's a reason I'm not a translator for the UN (not good with foreign languages) or a fighter pilot (poor eyesight).  There is a reason I'm a computer guy (I understand the logic of a computer) and practice kenpo (good coordination and physical ability). 

But ultimately, I'm not sold on the system because I'm not playing what I want to play in the manner that I want to play it (yeah, I know, boo-fucking-hoo).  I don't play a lot of console games because I didn't want to play Hero X who has powers Q, 7, Power Gleek and Flash Bang.  I'd rather play a computer game where I get to choose Defensive Power: Shield Increase or Offensive Power: Ice Spell Enhancement.  (Yes, I know that console games have moved more towards the latter in the recent years - I'm too cheap to go buy a new TV, console, extra controllers and games). 

So what to do about this issue?  Well, I don't know.  Any advice is welcome, but don't get butt hurt if I think your opinion or idea stinks.  In the mean time, let's see how the character creation of DCC plays out and this module -C is running us through: Malice of the Medusa.

FYI -C is holding back posting his take on the whole thing till it's over and he can evaluate it.  I'm taking the opposite approach and posting about how I feel at each step of the evaluation.

No comments:

Post a Comment