Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dungeon Crawl Classic - swirling down the funnel

My Wednesday gaming group completed the funnel portion of the new Dungeon Crawl Classic Beta last night. 

We all started with 5 0-th level 3X5 notecard characters with little more than a pickfork/hammer/pick for weapons, a helmet for armor and some pretty random inventory items: 10' of chain, lantern (no oil), 1lb of clay, empty vials, a cow, dog, mule, goose, duck, etc. etc.  The purpose is to play through the funnel, have 1 or 2 of the notecard characters survive and then they become your 1st level character(s).

My overall reaction to the experience, to the dismay of my DM, was - meh.  I understand people's desire to go old-school on stuff.  I understand the appeal of 60's-70's-80's themed parties, but I don't attend them.  Maybe I'm not old-school enough, but I remember not really liking playing Advanced Dungeons and Dragons once I was exposed to other game systems, to the point that I pretty much swore I'd never play AD&D again - ahh, youth and powerful declarations.

What don't I like about it?  Nothing and everything, I think.  I really can't quantify what I don't like, -C is convinced that I'm just burned out on *high* fantasy settings - maybe.  But that doesn't change the fact that I'm just pretty underwhelmed with what I've seen so far.  The upside is that apparently, the actual character classes are pretty powerful and interesting, so I'm at least looking forward to seeing what involved there.  I think I'll d/l DCC and read it over the holiday weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment